November 29, 2011

Vintage Goggles, meet Steampunk



                                     Steampunked!

 I got these vintage WWII era goggles at a flea market a couple of years ago. I thought that they looked really neat with the green glass inside the frames. Unfortunately, they were a little ravaged by time and most of the fabric on the sides was ripped off. That was a total bummer, but I figured I could always repair them if I needed. Then, I kind of forgot about them, thinking they made a cool vignette on my shelves.
    Recently though, my friend told me she needed a costume for a steam punk convention that her boyfriend wanted to go to around New Year's time. This gave me the incentive to take another look at the goggles, to see if I actually could repair them. After toying with them for a little while, I realized I wasn't going to save any of the fabric because it was literally falling apart in my fingers. I unscrewed the frames from the goggles and stripped all the fabric off of the wire and started fresh.


Materials:

  • Vintage aviation goggles 
  • Fabric (I used black cotton and a red velveteen for the inside)
  • Fabric scissors
  • pins
  • paper and pencil 
  • regular scissors
  • needle and thread (matching your fabric)
  • jewels and studs(optional)
  • glue gun (optional)



Instructions:


  1. Unscrew glasses and disassemble all pieces until you have just the frame
  2. Make a template out of paper of the inside of the rim of the goggles
  3. Cut 1/8" around template of fabric (to leave room to fold fabric over wire rim)
  4. PIN, PIN, PIN! Pin around all the edges of the goggles
  5. Hand sew around the goggles, unpinning as you go, until you have sewn the entire way around
  6. Decorate as you want to  (I put pink velveteen lining, jewels, and studs)
  7. Clean goggle frames and glass
  8. Reassemble all the pieces and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment