Theatrics aside, this project was quite hefty and required a lot of power tools I didn't even know existed. Be prepared. (Also, as with all my other projects, I'm sure there was a much better way of doing this and it could certainly be done with other materials, but this is only found out when I finish a project or it is tried a second time.) Last note, I'm not sure how much the paint and spar varnish could mess with the plants trying to grow from seed. I know there are some concerns about subjecting plants to chemicals, so if you want to be really safe, use unstained/unpainted wood.
|Clamps; they are a family favorite|
- drawers (any size / shape)
- paint (optional)
- spar varnish (optional)
- drill (with different sized drill bits)
- random pieces of wood (2x4s)
- window screening
- staple gun and staples
- chair pieces (optional)
- wheels (optional)
- screw drivers of various shapes and sizes
- screws and bolts in various sizes
|See all the holes drilled into the bottoms of these drawers? They look like celestial patterns.|
|Adding a clear coat of varnish to prevent the wood from rotting as quickly|
|One of the many arrangements we tried for the drawers. This was before they were drilled, primed, and painted.|
This was possibly overkill, but a good idea once we added the height and wheels.
5. Support the bottom of your piece using 2x4 planks of wood, laying them long-wise and bolting into place. (Just screwing them in didn't work for us, the piece fell right out when we flipped it over. Thanks gravity...) You should also use triangle joins whenever possible for strength.
|Back view of the movable garden, so you can see the extra set of wheels we added. Though it looks slightly crooked still.|