|Finished product: 2 metal slats that make up the tiers, covered in a fabric sleeve to keep shoes from falling through|
I have lots of fun projects to tackle now that I am living in Houston, Texas. So, first things first: make sense of my shoes. My brother gave me a shoe rack with 3 tiers a while ago, however, whenever I used it, my shoes would always fall through. Basically, it is missing the middle metal rung on each tier (no idea what happened to them...) When I moved, it got taken apart and it was the perfect opportunity for me to fix the problem. My solution? Making sleeves out of fabric (I was thinking of wrapping paper at first, but I didn't go for that as I had more fabric and no wrapping paper). It probably would have worked fairly well with the paper, but fabric will stand the test of time for sure.
|It looks classier with fabric sleeves|
So I had to take it apart and sew on a scrap length of fabric to make it fit. Not my most stellar craft moment, for sure. After that, they fit. Thank goodness.
|measuring- second time's the charm|
Project two was fixing the runner on the banquet table - or whatever that side table in the dining room is called. My brother had recovered the chairs with some fabric and had a runner that matched. But it was just a rough cut piece of fabric that had been the leftovers of this project. There is a sewing machine in residence now, so it was time to fix that problem. The solution, create a hem on both sides of the fabric and leave the tasseled ends alone. Easy enough, right? Wrong again.
|sewing the seam, hem tucked under|
|finished product = snazzy|
|tucking, smoothing, pinning the seams|
I would use a basting stitch in case I ever needed to take it out and use it as a king size bed skirt again. So, I set it out on top of the bed and looked at what I needed to do. I had learned my lesson of giving myself enough room, meaning I wasn't going to try and make the corners so tight that it ended up not fitting.
I was going to take a seam right down the middle, but then I realized in the original ruffle, they had folded over both edges so that it was even on both sides. So I decided to make two double seams, one tuck on either side to mimic the original folding of the material. I tucked and stuck pins into the fabric as I went; tuck, smooth, pin, repeat. I did this until I had both of the seams pinned on one side.
|Sewn seams mimic the tucks already existing in the middle (which are kind of hard to see in this picture, I realize now)|
Unfortunately, what I didn't realize was that switching the position also turns off the stitch length (no idea why- it's a new home from the 80's/90's). I finally figured it out halfway through the last seam (so 3 out of 4 are stitched with tiny stitches. Oops.) And I had been wondering why it was taking so long to sew- duh. Fortunately, the result was the same and I ended up with a queen sized bed skirt perfect for my new bed. Hurrah.
|much classier than seeing boxes|